Definition and Benefits of Packaging Reduction Strategies
Courtesy of the EPA-
Packaging and containers account for a significant portion (23 percent) of the municipal solid waste stream in the United States, equal to about 39 million tons per year.6 As with wasted food, there are many benefits to reducing the amount of wasted packaging, including:
• Cost savings from:
• Purchasing less packaging materials, and
• Avoided disposal of packaging materials.
• Environmental benefits by avoiding:
• Transportation energy and emissions from packaging production and waste transport,
• Use of natural resources, and
• Landfill emissions and land use associated with disposal.
Tracking and Calculating Solid Waste Disposal
The State of Massachusetts developed methods to track costs associated with solid waste disposal including annual hauling, operating and disposal costs: